Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Keeping The Faith

By Chris Pittman

"It takes a leap of faith to get things going,

It takes a leap of faith you gotta show some guts,

It takes a leap of faith to get things going,


In your heart you must trust"


-The Boss

When thinking about Poplar Point, it almost now seems like a dream. Some imagined place that is unattainable... unreachable. I almost forget how much of dump the place really is. I try to be rational about it and remind myself of the real life constrictions that now, and possibly will indefinitely impede us from building the park of our dreams there...

But thats when I'm thinking with my head...

When I dig down right into my gut, when I really search for how I feel about this debacle anymore I find faith. It's funny cause I've never been a very religious guy. It's never been the rational option to me. Faith? I think I barely know the meaning of the word in the context of organized religion. I guess in all honesty I've only felt true, real faith for a few things in my life. Two of them would be my family, and D.C. United. For a lot of Americans that'd be hard to believe, but I'm 21 years old now and I feel an amazing kinship with this team. It makes me question what faith really is? Whose to say that going to United games couldn't be considered a religious experience? I mean whats the difference? You meet once or twice a week, sing songs, and feel a connection. You're there with so many others who care deeply for the same things you do. How is it any different?

Maybe that's a stretch? I hope I didn't offend anyone with those remarks, and I'm sorry if thats the case. I don't mean to devalue religion or faith by comparing it to a soccer team, it's just the way I feel.

In short I just wanted to write and say that I, for one have faith. I have faith that Kevin Payne and Victor MacFarland are smart enough men to not have wasted these years chasing a dream. I have faith in the rational that if United were to not get a stadium at Poplar Point after all this time they would surely be the most incompetent sports organization I have ever known... and that just can't be. Can it?

...

I hope I don't loose my faith...

No comments: